Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Garden 2: Wow, oh wow!


OMG. I just realized that I forgot to talk about Garden 2, and if I wait much longer all those pictures I took will be outdated because it's growing so gosh-darned fast. We can't have that. Still, if you're not ready for another installment, feel free to entertain yourself with the link I provided to Usher's new video. I never knew how much gardening and clubbing had in common until I heard the lyrics "Honey got a booty like pow, pow, pow. Honey got some boobies like wow, oh wow. " Call me crazy, but I'm feeling a strong need to tend to some melons.

I am sorry, deeply, for that terrible joke.

If anybody's still here, let's get to it. By the way, those are strawberries up there. Don't actually have anything to do with the square-foot garden, but they are in the yard and they are edible.

Watermelon. Three, to be exact. The one on the right I thinned from putting two seeds in one planter and stuck in the ground assuming it would die from lack of roots and because the cantaloupe seed that supposed to be growing there isn't. If it does, we might be having some cantamelon when all is said and done. They're so cute. A few months from now, they should be about 10 feet long. I'll believe it when I see it. Yes, I'm finished with melons for this installment.



Here were have two bush beans and a marigold. First, there are supposed to be six bush beans. The other four are either lazy or dead. Part of the problem could be Bonnie's love of peeing on them and then digging them up. The second picture is an unfortunate casualty of this disgusting fastidiousness.


Snap peas. All seem to have come up and are growing robustly. I love snap peas.


Onions. My previous attempt to grow onions in the shade was an unmitigated disaster, but I'm tentatively optimistic here despite the fact it appears that at least half haven't come up.


Carrots. They're doing as well as the radishes so far. After 2 1/2 weeks in the ground, almost every seed seems to have germinated.


Beets. They're doing great. Looks like I stuck with my irrational insistence of putting more than one seed in each hole, which means I'm blessed with extra beets. I know I should be happy, but I don't know if I really want to eat beets. It was more of a challenge to see if they'd grow. I know people in Buffalo who like beets. This could be their Christmas present.


Collards. The big ones on the left are seedlings I started inside, while the little ones on the right I put straight in the ground to replace the duds. I love collards, though I've had to grudgingly accept that it's hard to make them taste right without some part of a pig in the cooking pot.


Broccoli, again from seeds I started inside. They've been outside in the dirt for about two weeks and have nearly tripled in size. Oh, and remember my angst over having to pull one of the seedlings when two came up in the same hole? I got around that by gently extracting the extra and replanting it. I did that twice, and even though they weren't supposed to live they did. You should only have one broccoli plant per square foot, meaning I have two too many here. Maybe that will cause a crowding problem, but at least I'm not a murderer!


Taters. I cut my seed potato in thirds and planted it, which in no way explains why there appear to be about 12 plants here. Hmmm. I'll be darned.


Spinach, a couple of sunflowers and an unidentified plant. This is actually Garden 1, but I forgot to mention them in my last post. The spinach seeds are easily my biggest disappointment so far, as fewer than half came up the first time and it looks like only one or two replacements have actually gotten around to replacing anything. Perhaps it was a dud seed pack.


Tomato. This guy, a transplanted seedling, is coming along smashingly in the garden in front of the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment